Offline Maps for Android Using Brut Maps

29 July 2010 By Shashank

Free India Offline mapss- android

So you have got a GPS enabled Android mobile and want to use it for navigation in India but the data transfer costs associated with real time map download using Edge, 3G is not letting you enjoy what could’ve been a pleasant experience. Instead of shelling out big bucks for navigation programs you can use the free Brut Maps which is a mod of Google Maps that allows you to use the GPS to pin point your current location on Google Maps and the pointer will move along with you towards your destination.

Another important feature of Brut Maps is that it allows you to download the Google Map data offline, for this you have  to go to More –> Brut Mod and enable the Map Tile Caching functions, which will allow the application to save maps and read from internal memory. It will look like this

Brut Maps offline settings

Now all you have to do is to browse the area for which you want offline navigation using your home Wi-Fi for all the possible zoom levels (13-19), this will save the Tiles of map data in your phone memory and will look like this

google maps offline india

and the best part it doesn’t even require a rooted phone.

There you have it, your very own free GPS Navigator with Offline maps.

Compatibility :

I’ve tested Brut maps on Android 2.1 and Android 2.2 on Galaxy S and they work brilliant.

Download Brut Maps [ via XDA-developers ]

1. Save fuel with Google Maps
  2. WordPress 2.6 gets taste of Gears but no offline blogging feature yet!
  3. Google Maps “My Location” Beta Could Simulate GPS On Mobiles
  4. Download Free Google Android OS: Live Android CD Image
  5. HTC Desire Firmware Update Download [Android 2.1]
Android 30 comments

Comments

madhu says:

thanks for the info..
tried it on my galaxy S..
is voice search not available in this mod?

@Madhu

Voice search is working for me in Brut Maps, but i’m on Android 2.2 jp3 firmware.

doc says:

thanks, works great!
though it can a take a while to store all zoom levels on cache.

Hi,
Nice to hear that we can have offline maps for Android phones. I have recently bought Galaxy 3 which has 2.1 Éclair. I will definitely give a try to this and download offline maps for my location.
I am Flash/Flex/Air Developer, Recently Google and adobe has announced that, Android 2.2 (Froyo) has support for Air application on android. I want to upgrade my phone OS to 2.2, Can you tell me the way to do this.
Thanks In ADVANCE.
Shailesh

kim says:

please post the info about same application for symbian plateform………

Vinay says:

Thanks a lot……..
Works like a charm on my Samsung Galaxy 5 (GT 15503)

arvind says:

can any body share google maps already downloaded for indian cities. if not i will download bangalore and would be ready to swap it with other guys .. feeling too laze to press shift button to capitalize first letter …

Kiran says:

It was published in the website that it supports voice guided navigation. Did u try it out? Did it work well in India?

Rajun says:

Hi, can i use my indian i-phone and galaxy S in USA and Europe?????
Also is only data(GPRS)slways needed eventhough i have GPS in my mobile.
Is it also needed to connect through GPRS in US and Europe for Navigation and finding specific location also with directions as i travel.

Surya says:

Working perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy 3 with voice support

ks says:

can some one share bangalore maps?

it would be awesome..

kausar says:

Exactly got what i want ….. tried several android s/w but not compatible for india this is awesome provides full voice navigation all over the india ….working nice on my galaxy 3……

puneet says:

Perfect!
works like a charm on HTC desire, froyo 2.2 non-rooted.

Sarfaraz says:

does it work for HTC wildfire???

gpsmanin says:

It doesn’t install on my HTC Wildfire Froyo. Says can not install the same application twice. So, I need to UNinstall the existing Google Maps first but it doesn’t let me uninstall it (non-rooted phone). How do I do it? Any ideas?
Cheers,
GPSman

Amit says:

I have hold my decision on buying Android phone just for this reason – Navigation.
Can you pls. explain me if this will work just as same as Nokia’s OVi maps based voice guided Navigation? , I mean it guides the driver by turn-by-turn voice announcements ?

Grungean says:

Where to download the maps from? And how? Thanks

Grungean says:

Just browse the area to get the maps? Ahhh, that’s a bit tedious. Great thing would be to get Brut working with MapDroyd maps :D

prasad says:

Hi,
I am not able to see the screen you have shown. How do i get to menu of brut maps

Jurrien says:

It works great on my Archos 5 Internet Tablet. I wish I had discovered this app two weeks earlier when I was actually in India. Now I will use it to explore online a hiking route, so that i can walk it offline.

AB says:

If I install this, will it overwrite the existing google map? Or both can be used side-by-side?

@AB
Brut maps and Google Maps can be used separately. There will be a new app icon for Brut maps.

manish says:

does it works for sony xperia x10 Android 2.1?

tl says:

thanks a ton! man you made my day.
Specifying a centre and radius of adjoining area to be cahed could be great idea.

Sam says:

@Puneet, have you done anything to get it working? i have basically downloaded apk from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=630887 then tried to install it but it failed saying ‘Application not installed’ then i un-installed google maps update and tried to re-install brut but it failed again with same message.

Thanks,
Sam

HTC Desire – Froyo – non rooted

Sam says:

when i started application first time after showing welcome message it just hanged so i tried and retried but no luck so i restarted my phone and uninstall the updates of Google maps which made it working.

Thanks,
Sam
HTC Desire – Froyo – non rooted

manish says:

I own a HTC wildfire froyo non rooted.every time I try to install it shows installation unsuccessful can anyone tell me what to do?

Sam says:

@Manish, do you have google maps already installed and upgraded to latest version if yes then uninstall it and try installing ‘maps4.6.0.4686-brut-renamed.apk’ , i was trying to install basic one given on XDA and was failing with same error. see my comments

>>Ok, i have got it installed finally. I basically downloaded ‘maps4.6.0.4686-brut-renamed.apk’ this time (which is mentioned as ‘probably not usable – random ANRs’ on XDA, not sure why exactly). i open apk and installation was successful, probably due to renamed package name then stock Google app.

andy says:

this works great for offline browsing . thanks for the tutorial.

Rocky says:

I installed it on my LG Optimus GT540 (Android 1.6) and it works great. Trying to download India map but the Vodafone network is too slow in Noida. Not sure how many days will it take… If someone has already downloaded it, can you please be kind enough to share the same??? Or, if not complete India, at least Delhi NCR would work for me. Thanks.