Tutorial: How to Copy/Backup PSP UMD to Memory Card on PSP 3000 Series [UMD Dumper]

8 August 2009 By Shashank

Ever wanted to play games on your PSP 3000 without inserting the UMD game disks, now you can do so with the new UMDumper, this software will let you play all your UMD games in ISO/CSO format from memory card. All you have to do is to dump the .ISO/.CSO files using UMDumper into your memory card and within a few minutes, you are ready to play your favorite games without UMD disk.

How to Backup PSP UMD Game Disk to Pro Duo Memory Card

Requirements:

Hacked/Unlocked PSP 3000 with CFW 5.03 Gen-A, use this easy PSP 3000 hacking tutorial

UMD Dumper for PSP 3000, download UMDumper from Phonicuk.com

Step by Step Instructions to backup UMD games on PSP 3000

• Make sure you have the custom firmware 5.03 Gen-A (Full) before proceeding, to check, go to Settings -> System Settings -> System Information
  • Connect your PSP 3000 in USB mode
  • Extract the UMD Dumper on Desktop
  • Copy the extracted folder to memory card ->PSP -> GAME

it should look like this

UMD Dumper tutorial-location

• Insert the PSP UMD you want to backup
  • Now disconnect from USB mode, and go to GAME -> Memory Stick

Bring up the Gen VSH Menu  by pressing SELECT button on your PSP, navigate to recovery menu -> Configuration -> UMD Mode if its normal mode than change it to M33 drive -No UMD-) or to Sony NP9660 -No UMD-) mode, both are good select any one and exit VSH menu, if you didn’t select the No UMD mode, your ISO/CSO game files will not work without inserting UMD disk.

• Go to GAME -> Memory Stick, Start the UMDumper
  • Select Start Dumping, wait for a few minutes

Thats it, you just made backup of your PSP UMD, now you can enjoy the game without inserting UMD disk, you will notice faster loading times and better performance when playing with games residing on memory card, battery life will also be improved as compared to when playing with UMDs.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

1. Tutorial: How to Hack PSP 3004 [Latest PSP SLIM Hacking Guide]
  2. Sony PSP 3000 is now Hackable using Datel Lite Blue Tool Service Mode Battery
  3. PSP 3000 Launched Officially, Black PSP Bundle will Release in November
  4. Sony PSP-3000 Ratchet & Clank Entertainment Pack First Shots
  5. Toshiba launching 16GB MicroSDHC Memory Card
Miscellaneous 29 comments

Comments

Steve says:

hi,
I wanted to know if you have tested these methods on the new psp 3004 and is it working coz i heard u cannot and maximum u can hack with chickhen and play homebrew games,but not iso.. it was clearly mentioned in one of the websites… if it does, plz do reply.. coz i dnd want to brick a new psp..

@Steve
Yes you can play ISO/CSO on PSP 3000 along with homebrew

Refer this PSP 3000 Hacking Guide http://www.techlivez.com/2009/08/tutorial-how-to-hack-psp-3004-latest-psp-slim-hacking-guide/

Steve says:

one more question..
is this the same method the grey market use to hack the psp.. coz i can see all over saying dat v can hack any psp models for so much… contact so and so person…

@Steve

Yes, that is the same method, but plz ask further questions about PSP 3000 hacking on this post http://www.techlivez.com/2009/08/tutorial-how-to-hack-psp-3004-latest-psp-slim-hacking-guide/

Jr. Hack says:

I tried the above method with HeatSeeker, yes i do have my PSP3004 hacked with the 5.03 gen-a (full) version but what happens is that after i start the umddumper it goes blank after a while and then switches off! when i restart it, the psp 3004 is back with its original software! is there a step missing??

Ryan says:

will umd disks work on the hacked psp

wtf says:

what if i poop in the umd slot first?
then will the iso work in my psp that is using chickHEN to plat iso files?

karthik says:

hey
i just cracked my psp and got ver 5.03 a full, now when i use the UMDumper that i downloaded from phonicuk.com and i followed the exact steps that is given above, but when i start umdumper it says “There was an error starting the dump check your filename is valid and your UMD is clean thentry again” ,i would like to tell you that this is a new psp 3000 that i bought today. please help me with this as i think i have wasted money.

MIKE says:

Hello,
I need your help…I have PSp 3004 ver.5.50, is there any way to modified it to use ISO or other types of games from memory card?Please help me…

anuj says:

hi
I can’t find “Gen VSH Menu”
please guide ASAP…..

Thnks

anuj says:

Hi

I have installed UMDumper as instructed.
But kindly explain this step:

“Bring up the Gen VSH Menu by pressing SELECT button on your PSP, navigate to recovery menu -> Configuration -> UMD Mode if its normal mode than change it to M33 drive -No UMD-) or to Sony NP9660 -No UMD-) mode, both are good select any one and exit VSH menu”

I can’t find “Gen VSH Menu” anywhere. Pls helppppppppppppppppppppp.

thanks for all the support

@Ryan
UMD Disks will work with hacked PSP

@Mike
PSP 3004 ver.5.50 not hackable as of now

@Anuj
if you have a hacked PSP, Press “SELECT” button on your PSP, it should bring up the VSH Menu

anuj says:

yes … i have hacked my PSP and now its showing “5.03 Gen-A (Full)”… as the software version.
But do i need to download another software for “VSH MENU”….if yes then kindly provide the link else let me know where i’m wrong

and where m suppose press “SELECT”…..have tried everywhere in PSP->GAMES-> …. path also but in vain

mazlum says:

how do you put games in psp

surya says:

:neutral: please help me how to downgrade psp3004 iam using the v6.20

jasm says:

i m using psp 3004 with firmware 5.03 m33-6 . some games do not work bcoz there comes a error 80020148. plz help me out. mail me meet1994@gmail.com

dd7 says:

I also get the error:
“There was an error starting the dump check your filename is valid and your UMD is clean thentry again”.

Has anyone solve this it yet?

Emile says:

I have a psp 3000 with frimware 5.03 GEN-B(FULL)/ I have download the umd dumper and place it on my psp. It goes in but then give an error- ” The game could not be started. (8002014C). Please help me !!!!

Richard says:

I get the same error of the game cannot be started

mars says:

does this work on 5.03 Gen-C (Full)

Gen-C(full) NOT! Gen-a(full)

Harry says:

Hey shashank, i have one problem in my psp! when i click the “SELECT” button on my psp, the vsh menu is not coming!! :( !! please help!! . My psp version is 5.03 GEN-C!! and by the way i used “MHUSPEED V3″ instead of chickhen r2 for hacking my psp! and it worked properly! so please help me!! vsh menu is not coming!!!!! :( :(

roman jan says:

hey ppl hi and h r u
plz? help me in chickhen end software for dowmloading if u have plz?end it in my email
roman.mohammadzai@live.com

Suraj says:

hey can i copy games without modifying my psp ? if yes so pleaz mail me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KoRn says:

Hey when i select start dumping it dont work nothing happened help me pls

j says:

Hi ,my psp version is 4.20 but the upgarde button is only 2.81 can some one help m,e

logeshk says:

How to hack psp 3004 version 6.20.Pls help me. I cant play iso, cso files games.pls help

sayed says:

can’t you hack psp3000 to downgrade it’s version to 5.03 or less if not can’t you work it out.

eddie says:

can any one help me please to properly explain how to dump my games cause theyre breaking and i cant risk losing my favorite games