iPod Touch 2G OS 3.0 Jailbreak Tutorial for Windows XP/Vista [Redsn0w Version 0.7.1]

21 June 2009 By Shashank

Redsn0w 0.7.1  Jailbreak software for iPod Touch OS 3.0 is released and its time for another tutorial but this time the procedures are extremely easy as the iPhone Dev Team has compiled a very easy to use untethered Jailbreaking software which does its job well. I’ve already jailbreaked my iPod Touch 2G with Apple OS 3.0 using Redsn0w 0.7.1, so here are the steps that are required to get the Jailbreak functionality on the OS 3.0 software.

How to Jailbreak the OS 3.0 of iPod Touch 2G on Windows XP 32 Bit

Step by Step guide to Jailbreak OS 3.0 on iPod Touch :

• First upgrade the iTunes to version 8.2 if you haven’t upgraded already.
  • Download latest iPod firmware with OS 3.0  and remember its location, Download links for OS 3.0 Restore.ipsw file.
  • Download Redsn0w 0.7.1 and extract its contents. update:  Latest Redsn0w 0.7.2
  • Connect iPod Touch to your Windows PC .
  • Click on your iPod name in iTunes and in Summary tab hold shift and click restore, navigate to OS 3.0 firmware and restore. Restoration to OS 3.0 will take a couple of minutes.
  • Double click on Redsn0w.exe , browse to OS 3.0 firmware update you downloaded, click next, you will see the following screen.

ipod touch OS 3.0 jailbreak

Following steps are super simple you just have to click next button and the Redsn0w 0.7.1 will do the rest of the magic, just don’t deselect the “Install Cydia” checkbox.

ipod touch OS 3.0 jailbreak tutorial ipod touch OS 3.0 jailbreak4 ipod touch OS 3.0 jailbreakguide ipod touch OS 3.0 jailbreak step by step  ipod touch OS 3.0 jailbreak steps

ipod touch OS 30 jailbreak congrats

After you have clicked finish, your iPod Touch 2G will be having a black screen, it will be dead now. Just double click on Redsn0w.exe and follow the steps again. Your iPod Touch 2G will spring to life again.

Enjoy your Jailbroken iPod Touch 2G with OS 3.0

Also read:  Must have Third party applications for your Jailbroken iPod Touch.

Other thoughts:

As this is a early version of Jailbreak software for OS 3.0, Cydia crashed a couple of times before I was able to do the essential upgrades in Cydia. After the upgrades it is working fine.

1. Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G/iPhone 3G OS 3.0 with Redsn0w Version 0.7 [Windows and Mac]
  2. iPod Touch 2G Untethered Jailbreak Tutorial for Windows XP and Windows Vista
  3. How To Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G in Windows XP/ Vista Master Tutorial
  4. Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G Windows and Mac with Redsn0w [Tethered]
  5. iPod Touch 2G Jailbreak: Redsn0w Semi-Tethered Version Released
Miscellaneous, New Softwares 35 comments

Comments

Jayde says:

Does not work, gets stuck at “waiting for reboot”, I have a 2G touch, redsnow simply does not work for me 😥

@Jayde
just try again, i hope you are using windows xp 32 bit and itunes 8.2.

I have jailbroken my iPod Touch 2G and my friend’s iPod too, so Redsn0w 0.7.1 is definitely working fine.

Jayde says:

Gahh no, I’m on Vista. 🙁

Tran says:

anybody hels me ? why my ipod was not “uploading ramdisk ” …. it was just “first stage ” , “second stage” , “third stage” and then “DONE” and black… :(((( … do it again but it still the same like that .. i unplugged and turn on , nothing changed , no cydia … 🙁
help me pls

Tran says:

and sure , “install cydia” is marked … but no cydia at all …. HELP !!!

Ray says:

I’ve heard of ppl being able to do it on vista

u have to be using the right restore ipod software

Beavis says:

What if I have already paid the $10.00 for OS 3.0 and have it installed on my Touch. Do I skip the part about downloading OS 3.0 etc.?

shawn says:

Beavis- you need to find your restore ipsw that you got from itunes that you downloaded. Best bet is to move it to the desktop for easy access. The all you gotta do is load it in redsnow when it ask you.

And for everyone that is getting the blank black screen after running the jailbreak, I am gonna guess that you are doing it on vista.

Just like the 2.2.1 jailbreak, vista has some errors with it. I am getting my hands on a laptop with xp in a few hours and I am gonna do it on there. Ill keep you guys posted on the xp process. Vista is just shit to do this on. Any other questions. I am here to assist.

shawn says:

Plain and simple. You need to use windows xp. I just jailbroke 2 itouches in a matter of 20 minutes. Just get redsow and the firmware and your good to go. I got mine of the pirate bay. Any question just ask.

Jayde says:

If your using vista, run as administrator. (Right click> run as administrator) this fixed it, and I was able to jail break!

shawn says:

I tried everything with vista, and couldn’t get it. What are you running? 64 bit or 32 bit vista?

But it works like a breeze with xp to all windows users, there is no way to get it wrong as long as you have the 3.0 firmware and red snow.

If Ýou are having trouble finding the software, post a messege and ill give you the link

Jonny says:

whats an ipsw

Beobachter says:

Works flawlessly with my ~supposedly problematic~ Vista 64-bit.Thx a lot man!:mrgreen:

iSover says:

JAILBREAK IS SUCCESSFUL and after that, I DON’T SEE ANY CYDIA!. PLEASE HELP 🙁

Joey says:

Thanks Jayde! That saved me some digging I’m sure. 32-bit Vista Ultimate here.

Nipurn says:

Thank u very much……. Jayde

version 0.7.2 worked for me & is much simpler than others….

Josh says:

I’ve got 32-Bit Vista and it works fine with redsn0w.

When it comes up with the last step and just says ‘Done’ and lets you click finish, don’t click finish until it says ‘Waiting for Reboot’ on the iPod (otherwise it won’t reboot). Click finish once it reboots.

Also, I don’t think it makes a difference if you jailbreak it on Vista or XP.

seb says:

My ipod touch is already broken on the 2.2.1 firmware yea and if i do this one will all m y apps and stuff het deleted

Allan says:

I’m stuck here. I have already jailbroken i pod touch with 2.2.1 firmwear. Redsn0w ends and says done i click finish and then it doesnt give black screen it tells me that ipod is downloadinf jailbreaking data and then when i wait a while its giving me black screen for a second and then on the screen appears connect to itunes. I tried to do jailbreaking steps thru again but it does not help at all. Can someone help me with this?!

Allan says:

Okay I did it. I upgraded my jailbroken ipod. problem was in iTunes.

Peter says:

Note: If you can’t find the ispw you can always download it from here http://www.iphone-hacks.com/iphone-downloads/file/189 This is for the 3g 3.0.

My friend had trouble in finding his ipsw on vista so I hope this helps.

JAYDON says:

does this jailbreak have installer cause the quickfreedom one did and it was by far the safest i used it to jailbreak my itouch 2.2.1 and it worked fine without any problems so i think if u want it done properly use quickfreedom just wait for the update to jailbreak 3.0

Mark says:

Any way to get the installer.app? Wasn’t included with this program. 😐

SAM says:

You can install installer.app using cydia. I have and icy is pretty good too. 🙂

jacob says:

💡 if u have vista and a 2g phone make sure u download redsn0w v 0.8 and the 2g speceific ipsw file and it should work fine….did for me 💡

irfaan says:

help me pls

JAlin says:

Thx alot ,i crash a few times but it ok now

charlie says:

hi i did the jailbreak and everything went well. but my ipod wont turn on. i accidently deleted the redsn0w and the firmware. could i just download them again and redo it. (my pc does not find my ipod :neutral:)

bill says:

Do you get installer with this???

Zac says:

Just wondering, if I jailbreak my ipod touch fw 2.2.1 to 3.0, how can I keep all my apps. Is it possible?

Bmeowmix says:

Umm… I dont know if this is bad… but my Ipod didnt die after…

Bmeowmix says:

I tried agian… what do i do when it says “waiting for reboot”?

Jose says:

I cant find the firmware i am using windows xp i have downloaded 2 different firmwares and they dont work wut should i do

Lindsey says:

😈 Im trying to jailbreak my ipod touch 2g with redsn0w and it works but when the software finishes my ipod tells me to plug into itunes help please!

Matt says:

My iPod 2nd Gen keeps crashing when i try to start cydia. I have tried about 300 times. How do i stop this from crashing?